Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Old Homestead

As a part of my resolution (not for the year... just for life) I've decided to create a 'suburban homestead'. When we were trying futilely to sell our townhouse a major motivation for relocating was to get more space for gardening (veggies) and crafts (sewing, painting, furniture). To better embrace the life we have, I resolved to do this now- create a homestead using our townhouse in the 'burbs. Step One: We went to the home improvement store! They were both so damn happy to be in the car cart together (which was very cute to see, BTW!). That thing made shopping a breeze because they were contained and entertained the whole time! We got some seeds, some soil and some chicken wire.
Jack loved planting the seeds. And it was a great little activity. He often watches me work on the flower (front) garden and understands about the "baby plants". I'm really excited to see how he experiences the veggie garden as the seeds grow. We planted 2 types of lettuce, radishes and spring onions.
And garlic- which looks exactly like... garlic. Apparently deer don't like garlic so it seemed like a good anti-deer pro-pasta investment. (Technically not everything we've planted is supposed to go in the ground outside while there is still a chance of frost but it was a risk I was willing to take.)
Henry supervised our work from the safety and comfort of the stroller. Since my hernia surgery I've been back to baby-wearing again but there are some activities that are totally ergo unfriendly- working in the garden is one of them.
He didn't seem to mind.

1 comment:

Gail said...

I love the picture of the boys in the shopping cart together--they look so grown up!