Sunday, November 7, 2010

Diet is a four letter word

Frankly, I don't believe in diets. But I do believe in eating healthy. Diets (to me, I'm not judging) feel so restrictive that they're so easy to screw up. I've tried to eliminate all HFCS (even in 'maple' syrup, and that was tough). I eat whole grains and low sodium/no added sugar foods. Which all seem pretty normal to me because as a parent I want to feed my kids healthy, wholesome foods not Cheetos.

I didn't eat meat (except for fish, I ate fish) for the first 18 years of my life. So when my yoga instructors started talking about eliminating meat as a way to go deeper in my yoga practice and meditation I thought "Why not?!" I've been veggie before so it wasn't that hard to substitute chicken for fish or tofu or beans.

I've been feeling like I've had more energy the last 2 weeks. (Some swear that digesting meat uses more energy.) But the best difference? I lost 7 pounds. What?!

Best. 'Diet'. Ever.

So I thought I'd share with you the staples of my non-diet-diet. As it gets colder in my little slice of suburbia I like to eat things that make me feel full and satisfied and have bold and delicious flavors. Salads are for summertime. So here are some of my faves:

Eggplant Parm.

Paneer Masala

Bean Stroganoff

Try them, I bet you won't be disappointed!

1 comment:

melaniet42 said...

That bean stroganoff sounds yummy - we totally have to try it! Thanks for sharing!!