Friday, May 20, 2011

A thoughtful comparison of first child to second child.

When I was pregnant with my first child- I read every parenting book I can get my hands on. Second child- I was re-reading Twilight.

First child- I ate for two, or maybe three. Second child- I wised up ate healthy but it was almost always grab-and-go.

When I drove home from the hospital with the first child I rode in the back of the car next to the baby... just in case he needed me. Something catastrophic could have happened. With the second child I rode in front because it's much more comfortable, and they're fine!

When the first baby cries I jumped and sometimes I felt like my skin was electrified- because my ability as a mother was in direct proportion to how often my baby cried. When the second baby cried I did the best I could... cause it ain't no thang.

Every time I left the house with my first I packed everything, 5 toys, 10 diapers, 1,000 wipes, 4 changes of clothes, changing pad, snacks for me, bottles of water. Was I backpacking across the country or going to Target. Second- I forgot diapers, left the toys at home, never brought a changing pad.

With my first I was so worried about developing 'bad habits'. I didn't let him sleep in bed with me (but he only napped at the boob for the first 4 months) I tried to make him learn to fall asleep on his own, I tried to teach him, drill him, push him. With my second I snuggled him, slept with him, followed his lead.

No comments: