Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Doctor

When you're a brand new parent, going to the doctor is a much-welcome performance review. You're anxious about baby's size and you have questions about cradle cap (or maybe torticollis). A visit to the doctor is an outing, but you pack like you're going to move in there. You never know what you're going to need!

My first appointments with Jack felt like a lifeline. We were worried about weight gain because my milk didn't come in for 5 days. I was reeling from the birth experience and I was so worried that everything was going to be okay (for both of us).

After the first appointment the day after our release from the hospital (5 days pp) the doctors were worried about his weight but still optimistic about breastfeeding, his weight loss was still a concern. They wanted us to come back. When we came back he had gained weight, my milk had come in- boobs swollen up to my chin. They told us everything was going to be fine. I was so relieved that as we were walking back to the car I burst into tears. I cried on the phone with my mom when I told her, I tried to pretend I wasn't crying but I'm pretty sure she knew... she always knows.

Going to the doctor is no longer life or death for me. I don't need reassurance that my little astronaut is doing fine but I love finding out his stats! How cute is this little blood pressure cuff? It's too much!!

Jack is 38.75 inches tall.
He weighs 37 lbs 8oz.

3 comments:

emk said...

TORTICOLLIS!!

And he doesn't look like HE thinks the blood pressure cuff is too cute!

Emily said...

No, he was not loving the poke and prod. But he let them do the exam... his face does say it all doesn't it?

Kate said...

OMG the look on his face is absolutely priceless!