Friday, January 30, 2009

Elephants

Last night at 5:14 pm Kristin (my cousin) gave birth to Sierra at a whopping 6 lbs 19 inches. Both mom and baby are doing well and I'll have pictures to follow soon. Rumor has it that she's feeling a little overwhelmed. I can't imagine why, labor and delivery are a piece of cake, right? and bringing home a new born is just like having a puppy! (I'll post pictures as soon as I get my hands on some.)

Today the Animal Planet (which we let Jack watch) was having a special on elephants and because they were talking about elephant pregnancy, labor and birth I thought I'd share some helpful statistics.

Human Gestational Period: 40 weeks (9.5 months)
Elephant Gestational Period: 100 weeks (22 months)
Human Birth Weight: 7lbs 6 oz
Elephant Birth Weight: 250 lbs
Human Birth Canal: 4 inches
Elephant Birth Canal: 8 feet
Human Baby Drinks: 25 oz of milk
Elephant Baby Drinks: 640 oz of milk

Elephant babies don't sleep through the night when they're newborns either.

All I'm saying is- it's good to be human!

3 comments:

melaniet42 said...

I'm glad I'm not an elephant.

Carlson Family said...

Thanks for putting it all in perspective for us with your usual blend of wit and humor!

bebe said...

If I had to be an elephant, I'd rather be a male. I think it would be fun to squirt water out of my nose!!