Wednesday, June 24, 2009

CSA Week 3

2 lbs potatoes, 1 bunch carrots, 1 cabbage, 1 lb spinach, 2 cucumbers, 3 heads of lettuce, 2 lbs squash (variety) 1 bunch spring onions, 1 loaf desert bread, 1 qt blueberries, 1 bar of tea tree & mint soap.

We had a slightly scary incident today. In leading Jack back to the car he sat down on the ground to protest leaving the farm. I had one hand carrying 15 lbs? of produce so with my other arm I tried to help him back to his feel. I know kids can hurt their shoulders, arms and elbows getting pulled around by adults so I tried to be careful in helping him get back up. Not careful enough. As I pulled (gently) up I heard a crack, what sounded like his knuckles in his hand all cracking at once. Well as he walked with me to the car it became clear that he wasn't using his right arm hardly at all. When I put him in the car I checked his wrist and he seemed perfectly fine. I tried to feed him some juice and cheerios holding the food on his right side. No luck he eat one or two O's but then switched immediately to his left.

I called the pediatrician when I got home and some woman who gets paid like 8 dollars an hour to answer the phone told me to take him to the ER to get an ex-ray. Um, no. I'm not paying for an ex-ray or exposing him to ex-rays when I know for a fact that it's not broken. Lindsey and I speculated that it was nursemaid's elbow - which when you read Wiki- sounds like I was way rougher than I was... but whatev, I'm pretty sure that's what it was. So we went down the street to check with some other local mommies and turns our 'Dr. Jess' was able to fix him right up using the treatment described by Wiki. By dinner time he was eating, waving and throwing food with both hands again. Disaster and costly unnecessary medical expenses averted!

Why tell you this? A. So you don't panic. and B. So you don't waste your time in the ER when any pediatrician (or skilled neighbor) can fix it! C. So hopefully you can avoid it all together, because apparently even pulling gently is too much (unless you're using both arms and so is your little one.) From what I have seen Jack's sheer size may have also been a contributing factor.

3 comments:

Brenna said...

glad everything turned out ok! btw...your link just goes to nursemaids, not the medical thing.

Emily said...

fixed!

melaniet42 said...

Good to hear all is well! And thanks for the info...nice to have it just in case!