Friday, April 30, 2010

Foggy?

I read this blog about baby blues & post partum depression recently, and the description of a "fog lifting" struck me. What a great description! With Jack I felt more than foggy, I was completely overwhelmed. This time it's much harder to describe. There is something that's off, and I can't put my finger on it. I've been feeling like I'm about to come down with a cold or something- like I feel off, extra tired but no specific symptoms like runny nose or sore throat.

Well Friday morning I believe I experienced the lifting of said fog. I woke up with Henry, fed and changed him, brushed my teeth (which in the last few weeks has been skipped sometimes), put in my contacts (also skipped sometimes), put on deodorant (also skipped), put hairspray in my hair to tame the flyaways (skipped), got dressed (skipped), came downstairs put Henry in his swing for a nap, ate a leisurely breakfast, drank some tea, got Jack up and dressed (yes, he's also been living in his PJs), and decided to go to Trader Joe's. I decided to let Jack walk through the store while I pushed Henry in the cart. I took this on as an intentional test of Jack's ability and my patience- it went really well. When we got back I let Jack play outside with the neighbors (which I've also been avoiding because I'm worried he won't listen when it's time to go home).

Honestly if I was still feeling "foggy" I wouldn't have done more than 1 or maybe 2 things this morning. But it was like this morning I felt mostly like myself and it just felt like it was time to get back to normal.

2 comments:

Brenna said...

great to hear that you feel better. I remember the pp days...I spent the month after a's birth crying my eyes out over everything. it is nice to feel normal again!

The Bliven Family said...

It's great when you can be so insightful about yourself. I think that the first step is being able to admit it to yourself and then ask for help when you need it. When you have kids you really don't every get back to "normal", but you eventually find your new "normal" which sometimes takes time. Sounds like Jack is being a great big brother!