Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Yoga

I cheated.

Because I think New Years Resolutions are BS -I started early. I mean who says a new habit has to start on January 1st?! (Or since most people are hungover like woah, January 2nd). I started changing my perspective on yoga last week.

I confess I was only doing yoga once a week. I would go to my class and work incredibly hard and my strength and flexibility would improve ever so slightly from week to week. I just couldn't wrap my head around a home practice. I was in this loop of thinking I needed to do a full hour/ hour and a half practice which meant the kids needed to be in bed for the night or the Husband needed to be watching them. By the time the kids are in bed there are just so many things that need to be done yoga was too far down on the list.

Why do I have to dedicate a whole hour? Isn't 5 minutes or 20 minutes better than nothing? Duh. So I finally started standing on my head while playing with the kids in the basement. I was saluting the sun between steps cooking dinner and doing a few twists before bed. Yoga is not about perfection it's about being present, and I wasn't doing yoga unless the conditions are perfect? Ridiculous!

No comments: